How much is a legal malpractice cases damages worth on at least/ on average in P.A ?

Philadelphia, PA |

There are tremendous damages in addition.

Legal malpractice cases are often worth what the underlying value of the original case was worth, plus potentially more,

To prevail in a legal malpractice case, you need to show not only a deviation from the acceptable standard of care from the attorney. You also need to show that you would have won the underlying action but for the negligence of the attorney.

If you want to share additional facts, you can contact me.

good luck
noah

This response is written for entertainment purposes only. It should not be relied upon for legal advice, and in no way does this answer create an attorney/client relationship. We only represent individual(s) once there is a signed representation and fee agreement in place. Please visit our website to read our full disclaimer. http://pghfirm.com/

I was represented by a Public Defender. I'm claiming that my council was ineffective and negligent mainly. Would there be an range of ammounts awarded for just legal malpractice itself? I just don't know if my case will be worht enough to big firms.

granted*

As my colleague stated, the malpractice case is generally worth what the underlying claim would have been worth. As a result it is impossible to provide an average number to you.

As a side note, legal malpractice cases are amongst the most complicated kind of cases to handle. The reason for this is that the malpractice attorney needs to prove not only the malpractice but that the client would have won the underlying case.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.

I wasn't sure if there was just a general range of ammounts granted for malpractice under the grounds of ineffectiveness/negligence.

Jennifer L. Ellis

Jennifer L. Ellis

Nope, it is going to be based on the ability to prove what the financial harm done as a result of the malpractice.

Jennifer L. Ellis

Jennifer L. Ellis

Well I massacred that sentence, but you get the idea.

I understand, thanks

As the other attorneys have correctly advised you, to prevail you must show that you would have won the underlying case, but for the attorneys negligence. You need an expert to testify the attorney was negligent and possibly an expert on the underlying case, which you have not described. Only your attorney can advise you as to how much your case is worth.

My case would be a bit different. That my council was ineffective/negligent, that I'd been suffering greatly before that case, and suffered extremely worse after/because of recieving such a lengthly setence and that I'm still suffering.

There is no average. It's a case within a case. Did the lawyer blow the statute or some deadline?

No.

My attorney refused to do what I asked.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/someone-with-mental-health-issues-can-t-be-in-a-me-1280332.html?logged_in=true

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/does-an-attorney-not-getting-documents-to-prove-me-1283663.html

Depends on the underlying case. Can you tell us the who, what, where and when?

A Public Defender, psych records, CJC, 2011.

You can obtain the full value of your claim if your attorney can show that the original defendant acted negligently and caused you harm, and that your first attorney acted negligently and caused you harm by depriving you of your right to obtain compensation from the original defendant. An attorney defending such a case can argue that the amount of your losses should be capped at the amount of available insurance available to the original defendant, if the party has no or limited assets, in cases where your losses exceed the amount of the original defendant's insurance. These are complex cases so hire an experienced attorney to review the case.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general information and not intended to be a legal opinion to be followed. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney before making a decision. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. Contact our office to obtain specific legal advice at (215) 702-2708 for Pennsylvania or New Jersey matters.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury