How much is a false arrest claim worth?

Floral Park, NY |

can you be arrested if someone says u threw a glass bottle att them but it hit the floor?

1. Yes

The advice I have given does not bind the parties in any manner and is merely given as a courtesy.

2. It is possible. Hopefully the alleged victim will not push the situation. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Brooklynlaw.net Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

3. Yes.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. Thank you and good luck.

4. I handle false arrest cases. All the police need is probable cause to arrest and a complaint by an identified person generally gives probable cause.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

5. Yes. False arrest cases are difficult, if not impossible to make if the police officers have probable cause to arrest. It sounds like in your case there was a disclosed complainant on whose complaint the police reasonably relied in forming probable cause. There are cases, though, where the police should have made reasonable inquiry into the credibility of the complaining witness. I represented an emergency room doctor who was falsely accused and arrested and charged with rape when a looney toon decided to bring her delusion to the police. The accuser had a long history of mental illness and lodging false charges. The police never investigated the claim, they just arrested him. My client was paraded before the networks in a perp walk that was shown on every channel's evening news. A New York County jury gave my client a nice award, and the court awarded costs and fees under section 1988, but my client wanted to know where to go to get his reputation back.

I may be contacted at 212-553-9300.

6. Yes. You can be arrested for harassment or atttempted assault.

This answer is very general and is not intended to be specific legal advice and does not create any attorney/client relationship. Please consult an attorney with the specifics of your case to determine your best course of action in or out of court