How much is a fair settlement in auto-accident?

Asked 5 months ago - Deer Valley, Phoenix, AZ

I was hit Dec 20, 2013 - the other driver left the scene but a good person reported the plate and driver, who did not come forward, was found and ticketed two days later. I have been treated, by chiropractor, for soft tissue injuries in my neck and back. I have also had an MRI, looking for pinched nerve in my neck, causing numbness in my hand. The MRI was inconclusive. I went to several specialists, including a neurologist, to test the nerve function and now am working with physical therapist. It has been three months of treatment, for a total of approx $8000 - 5k was paid by my policy, though not at fault - takes primary until exhausted. The other 3k was billed to medical insurance and I have filled subrogation claim to recover. How much is a fair settlement?

1. Bruce M Squire

5

Answered . It is really impossible for any lawyer to give you an evaluation based on the information provided. A lawyer, and the insurance company, will want to read your medical records, look at the itemized billing statements, and find out how your injuries affected your life. There are lawyers in your area who would be glad to meet with you free of charge to review your case and give you a more helpful answer.

2. Michael R Crosner

4

Answered . You need to sit down with a local personal injury attorney attorney. Most offer free consultations so what have you got to lose. You can locate a local attorney right here on AVVO by using the tab "Find a Lawyer" Evaluation of injury claims are complex and require expert handling. Contact an attorney ASAP

3. David Ian Schoen

Pro

3

Answered . There is no way for anyone but an attorney fully familiar with all of the facts to give you an opinion of a ball park range of value. And that could not, should not be done, until there is a clear understanding of the full extent of your injuries and the full impact that they will have on your life in the future. Consult with an experienced AZ personal injury attorney to maximize whatever value your case has.

4. David Herman Hirsch

3

Answered . Folks often post questions on this forum asking what a fair settlement is for a personal injury matter. Unfortunately, no attorney is going to be able to give you a substantive answer without reviewing all of the circumstances, medical records, etc. You need to consult with a personal injury attorney to assist you. Personal injury attorneys typically handle cases on a contingency fee basis and give free consultations. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find one in your area. Best of luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.