How much interest can a collection agency add on to a debt that was origially $110 dollars in 2004? In Wa. state,Is $1650 right?

Asked over 2 years ago - Portland, OR

They must of bought 2 checks from the bank one for 15.00 dollars and one for 85.00 dollars that didnt get paid during a divorce. I am being garnished at wk after just finding out when papers were served,for total of 1,685 dollars.The checks were from 2003,They were signed by my ex husband but my name was also on the checks.

1. Kelly Donovan Jones

Pro

3

Answered . I agree that there are many other facts that need to be established before answering your question. There are statutes regarding "bad checks" and there are separate statutes allowing post-judgment interest on debts. You should have been served with a copy of the summons and complaint before the plaintiff was able to get a judgment, thus giving you a certain time period to respond with a formal answer/defense. I also agree that you may need to speak to a consumer rights attorney to assess the validity of the garnishment/judgment/underlying debt.

2. Tom Arany

2

Answered . There is no obvious answer to this question because it depends on a specific timeline of facts, the terms of the original agreement, the terms of the judgment the creditor has against you, and / or the statutory interest rate. You should call a local consumer law attorney for more help with your question.

3. Kevin V.K. Crick

Pro

3

Answered . I believe you should contact a local attorney as soon as possible, and prove that attorney with more facts, hope you find success in that.