How much impact does a supervised visitation report have in modifying custody/visitation?

Asked about 2 years ago - Oakland, CA

I recently received a copy of the reports from my visitation with my children over the last couple of months as I am hoping to move towards more time with unsupervised visitation with them. All of the visits are reported as positive with my children being excited to see me and having a great time with me. I'm concerned though as it also mentions that there were a couple of instances where I cried in their presence (the first when I got to see them for the first time after 2 months and the second as I was wishing my child a happy birthday as I wasn't permitted to do so on the actual day). My children have also been asking to see me more and more, which is really all I want. Could my emotions be used against me even though there have been no negative incidents during any vists?

1. Marshall William Waller

Pro

1

Answered . This is a pretty subjective question and is impossible to predict. It is a very important aspect of the judge's information about your time with the children, so it will undoubtedly be received with a lot of weight. I think the best you can do here is be honest and sincere in your feelings for your children and your desire to be a good parent and trust in that coming through both to the supervisor and to the judge. If the worst of it is what you described in your question I think that is not a huge issue or problem. There may be other things of which I am obviously unaware, but crying on front of your children is not the worst thing you can do by a long shot. Good luck.

2. Rebekah Ryan Main

Pro

1

Answered . Have you been ordered not to cry? Was the crying of some disturbing nature – such as wailing and sobbing?? If you simply explain why certain circumstances made you emotional, then your crying seems pretty benign to me. But a consult with an attorney can’t hurt!

Best of luck to you.

Attorney Rebekah Ryan Main

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.

3. Hillary Johns

Answered . That's a complicated question which would require a consultation with a skilled family law lawyer in your area. I would really suggest that you hire a lawyer.
    What kind of report is it? I really wouldn't answer the question without more of a description. I understand that you're upset although speaking with a lawyer would be a good way to proceed.