How much for a lawyer?

Fresno, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I have about $2000 saved up to hire a lawyer for my shop lifting case that I have had a warrant for about a year.. is this enough to hire a good lawyer? Or should i keep saving?

1. Price is not neccearily a reflection of quality. In Fresno there will be a range of attorneys to choose from and you may be entitled to a public defender. If you go to the Avvo index, I think that the lawyers who post answers here are generally reliable, inelligent and reasonable. Your county bar association my also have a lower-cost panel of attorneys to choose from.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

2. I generally charge between 1500.00 and 2500.00 for similar cases. The fact that you have an old warrant would probably put you at the higher end of the scale.

3. It depends on the complexity of your case. I've done cases for less than that. If you have a really bad history, this could be a very high stakes shop lifting case. Most attorneys, including myself, offer a free consultation where they will tell you a quote and what they can do to help. If you contact me I can look up your warrant in the court system and we can talk about your options. Alternatively, you could go down to the main courthouse fourth floor and do it yourself. If you have already been appointed a public defender, you can go to their office and speak with your appointed attorney for free. If you have not, you can go to the main courthouse fourth floor and put yourself on calendar, where an attorney will be appointed to your case when you show up in court. The court may consider putting you in jail depending on all the circumstances.

4. I'd be happy to speak to you as well. I agree with the other attorneys that fees are really dependent on the facts and circumstances; I would add that you don't want to select an attorney solely based on the amount of their fee. You should up a consultation with one or more attorneys to see how comfortable you feel interacting with them, whether their style meshes with your goals, etc.

Good luck!

Please don't forget to choose the "best" or most "helpful" answer. This response does not create an attorney client relationship. The information provided here should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice received by an attorney that you have retained for your specific case. If you are actually involved in a case pending in court and you have an attorney, you should speak to your attorney and follow his/her advice. The information provided here is for general purposes only.