How much does the average divorce lawyer charge per hour, and how many hours is an average divorce?

Spokane, WA |
Filed under: Divorce

I live in Spokane, Washington, and my husband is going to fight me for the house. How much does the average divorce lawyer charge per hour, and how many hours is an average divorce?

I'm not sure there is any such thing as the average divorce lawyer, or the average rate, or the average number of hours. These cases are all different.

You are already anticipating a "fight" with your husband. You will find a tremendous variation among lawyers, and you should know that whatever fees they quote, it is ALL NEGOTIABLE.

One thing you might consider is whether you know anyone who has been through the process who might give you feedback on the lawyers they used. I know this is a stressful experience. Good luck.

The first answer makes some good points.

The more you fight, the more your divorce will cost. The more issues you can resolve through negotiation, the less it will cost.

Divorce attorneys work on hourly rates that can vary widely, depending upon the experience of the attorney and the market in which the attorney is working. I've seen rates from as low as $150 per hour to as much as $1,100.