How much does it cost to hire a probate lawyer?

Asked about 1 year ago - Olympia, WA

My mom did not have a living will , her assets are over in Montana. How difficult is it if my mom did not have a will unfortunately cancer took my mom too fast. How much does it cost to get the process started for a probate lawyer ? Do I need to go too Montana also ? I appreciate all the answers I am getting cause I have no clue how too go about this whole process between my brothers and sisters, sorry I needed to be more thorough about everything . I just went through a process of monies being split up between the six of us that came from my moms deceased brother that was left too my mom and things were not right, the way everything was set up seems as though. Thanks for all the advice to all good day.

Can money be disbursed ? If my moms assets have not went through probate yet ?

1. Justin Eric Elder

Pro

7

1

Answered . How much a probate when there is no will costs depends on a number of factors, including the size of the estate and the difficulty of finding and valuing the estate's assets, among many others.

The probate will most likely have to take place where your mother resided at the time of her death. If that is not Montana, then what is called an ancillary probate will need to be started in Montana as well. This will, of course, add to the cost of the probate.

The good news is that the estate's attorney can often be paid from the estate's assets, if there are any.

All the best.

2. Karl L. Flaccus

Pro

2

Answered . Some types of assets can be handled by a Washington lawyer if she died in Washington. Ultimately, whether you need a Montana lawyer depends on the nature of the assets. If your mother had real estate in Montana, then yes, you will need a Montana lawyer. Remember that attorney fees are almost always paid from the assets in the estate, and not out of the pocket of the personal representative. Your best bet is to consult with a probate attorney to see what actions need to be taken, and in what state. You should be able to get that initial information economically from a local probate attorney.

3. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

1

Answered . I'm sorry for your loss. Attorneys Elder and Flaccus have provided you with solid advice. Please meet with a few attorneys and ask them whether they bill on an hourly or percentage fee basis. Then, make your choice based upon which attorney works best for you (not necessarily the least expensive attorney). Good luck to you.