Skip to main content

How much does it cost to have a domestic violence case that was dismissed, expunged?

Denver, CO |
Filed under: Domestic violence

My best friends girlfriend was hitting him and when she swung to hit again, she fell. She hurt herself and he took her to the hospital. The police were called and arrested him for domestic violence. This charge has been dismissed and he wants it expunged, not sealed!!!!! How much is the usual price range for something like this?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Here in Colorado the process is sealing of records. You need to notify the prosecutor/DA, the Court, the police agency that arrested you, the agency that held you in jail, and CBI. The process is not over time consuming. However, you need to make sure that you send all of the notices out accurately. If you miss one of the agencies, then it might be all for naught. The DA has the opportunity to object. Normally, they do not. If they do, they have to show why the public interest in knowing about the dismissed charge overrides your privacy interest in getting the records sealed. I know that you have referenced expunged. However, CO does not use that language (as other states do) and sealing is the proper terminology and the proper method of accomplishing what you are seeking. I have seen attorneys charge flat fees in the range of $500-$1,000 typically. However, every attorney sets their own fee and there is no standard fee out there. It is relatively rudimentary though and I used to sign off on them weekly with no objection from the DA when I was a judge.

  2. You should contact several attorneys and check out if they really have done Sealings.

    Expungement is for juvenile adjudications while sealing is for adult convictions.

    All the Best

    No attorney client relationship is established or intended. Contact a local lawyer for specificity as to the facts in your case. This is for general information only. Check our website for more information as to disclaimers and information herein. I have taken no action on your problem other than to review your question nor have I given any legal advise. I want to confirm that no attorney-client relationship has been created between myself or our firm and you in connection with this matter, and that nothing in this response is legal advice to you. As you may know, the legislature and the courts can change the law in ways that may affect the strength of your case. In addition, the circumstances of your case may change. Because we do not represent you, we cannot keep track of, and inform you about, any change in the law. I must warn you that there are time limits for raising certain claims and defenses. Without taking more time to review your case, this firm nor its attorney (s) cannot properly advise about those deadlines. You may lose your claims and defenses if they are not filed in court within the time allowed. I would advise you to retain the services of an attorney as soon as possible.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics