Skip to main content

How much does it cost to get guardianship papers done?

Meridian, MS |

I would like for my children to go to school in another school district. The school in which they attend now will not grant a transfer. I have a relative that lives in the district where I would like them to attend school. I would like to grant her guardianship of my kids so that they can attend a school that will help them to flourish. How much will this cost?

Attorney Answers 1


I now this doesn't help much, but it depends a lot on your location and the circumstances of the matter. In general, you are probably looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500-$2500. But, again, this could be more depending on the circumstances and your community. There are also filing fees and, possibly, court investigator fees that you will have to pay (which could had close to $1000 to the bill).

I am only licensed to practice law in the State of California. As such, answers are based on an application of California law to general factual scenarios and should not be considered for any other purpose. The information presented in this answer should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor as forming a lawyer/client relationship. Individuals reading this answer are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel from an attorney licensed to practice law in their state for advice regarding their individual legal issues.

Mark as helpful

1 comment

Bryan L Phipps

Bryan L Phipps


You need to understand that granting guardianship to your relative will give that individual the right to make decisions for your child. This is a pretty drastic way to solve your problem.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics