Skip to main content

How much does it cost to get a green card and do i have to pay for a waiver?

Calexico, CA |

i wanted to know how much my husband and i have to save up to be apple to adjust my status and do i have to pay a waiver for comming to the us illigaly and we have been maried for 6 months and saving up money just want to know how much would i have to pay and with out an attorney because i cant aford it. thank you

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Because you entered illegally, you will most likely need to return to your home country and proceed through consular processing and a waiver.

    Immigration attorneys' fees differ, just as their service differs, but I will give you an idea about the USCIS filing fees which are universal.

    I-130 - $355
    Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee - $400
    Affidavit of Support fee - $70
    I-601 (waiver) - $545

    Then you must consider travel costs, living apart, etc.

    I highly suggest you discuss your matter with an immigration attorney familiar with consular processing and waivers. Be careful of attorneys that charge very little on their waiver process, make sure to ask about their success rate and experience and with which countries. I have experience in this area and have done many successful waivers. Note, as long as an attorney is licensed in one of the United States, they are allowed to practice US Federal immigration law.

    The above is general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

    Law Office of Ruby Lichte Powers
    5535 Memorial Drive, Suite F-130
    Houston, TX 77007
    Tel: (713) 589-2085
    Fax: (713) 589-3101

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics