How much does it cost to get a GAL?

Asked about 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

I was thinking a guardian ad litem would be a really good thing for my situation, but I was wondering how much they cost. Also, would both parents have to pay, or only the one requesting?

1. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

6

Best Answer

Answered . GAL's can be pricey. Some do a sliding scale based off the parties income. As far as splitting the cost it depends, if you both agree on it and agree to the split then maybe, but commonly one party that can afford it foots the bill because the other cannot.

Ophelia Bernal-Mora
    Orlando Family Law Attorney
    407-354-5223

2. William Charles Rosenfelt

7

1

Answered . GALs can be quite helpful and their opinions and recommendations typically are followed by the judge. GALS can be quite expensive. It all depends on how much investigating and interviewing that they have to do. I would imagine that a GAL would run you anywhere from $2500 to $5000 for a very average custody matter in terms of complexity. The court typically will split the cost between the parties but the judge can make one party pay for it if it's deemed the equitable way to go. Certainly if you are asking for the GAL you should be ready to pay for it. Sometimes the attorneys can agree on which GAL to use and to split the costs, etc.

Bill Rosenfelt (Orlando) 407-462-8787

3. Carin Manders Constantine

5

1

Answered . In my area they charge between $200 to $250 an hour.

4. Christina Andrea Mckinnon

4

1

Answered . Guardians Ad Litem can range from $200-$350 per hour. In some limited instances, you can find one to work on a pro bono basis. Check your county services or the clerk's office for a low fee or pro bono GAL. Also, your lawyer should be able to refer you to one.