How much does it cost to get a GAL?

Orlando, FL |

I was thinking a guardian ad litem would be a really good thing for my situation, but I was wondering how much they cost. Also, would both parents have to pay, or only the one requesting?

GAL's can be pricey. Some do a sliding scale based off the parties income. As far as splitting the cost it depends, if you both agree on it and agree to the split then maybe, but commonly one party that can afford it foots the bill because the other cannot.

Ophelia Bernal-Mora
    Orlando Family Law Attorney
    407-354-5223

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

2. GALs can be quite helpful and their opinions and recommendations typically are followed by the judge. GALS can be quite expensive. It all depends on how much investigating and interviewing that they have to do. I would imagine that a GAL would run you anywhere from $2500 to $5000 for a very average custody matter in terms of complexity. The court typically will split the cost between the parties but the judge can make one party pay for it if it's deemed the equitable way to go. Certainly if you are asking for the GAL you should be ready to pay for it. Sometimes the attorneys can agree on which GAL to use and to split the costs, etc.

Bill Rosenfelt (Orlando) 407-462-8787

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

3. In my area they charge between $200 to $250 an hour.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272 familylawyer411.com/about-carin https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Law-Offices-of-Carin-M-Constantine/125967577416313 http://www.linkedin.com/pub/carin-constantine/b/861/445

4. Guardians Ad Litem can range from $200-$350 per hour. In some limited instances, you can find one to work on a pro bono basis. Check your county services or the clerk's office for a low fee or pro bono GAL. Also, your lawyer should be able to refer you to one.