How much does it cost to expunge domestic violence from record?

Asked about 1 year ago - Lawrence, MA

There are 2 records of domestic violence with my girlfriend. But no where on there did i actually hit her. They have been dismissed and we have been together for years now. This record, however is affecting me and finding/keeping a job.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John Brooks Seed


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The more realistic option for you is sealing your record. Expungement is nearly impossible.

  2. Dominic L. Pang

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . How much an attorney would charge to seal your CORI depends in part on how old these charges are and whether they were charged as misdemeanors or felonies. There are two main ways to seal a CORI: wait until the charge was old enough to seal by way of a petition to the Commissioner of probation (5 years for misdemeanors, 10 years for felonies) or for charges that were non-convictions only, petition the court that issued the charges to seal the CORI. Petitioning the court is used when the charges are not old enough to be sealed via petition to the Commissioner of Probation. Court petitions can be denied if the judge doesn't feel the petitioner has satisfied the statutory tests for sealing. Court petitions require more work and preparation than petitions filed with the Commissioner of Probation, and therefore cost more. Contact an attorney who has experience in sealing records to determine your most effective course of action.

    Good luck,

    Dominic Pang (617-538-1127)

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only and it is not intended as legal advice.... more
  3. Alex Moskovsky

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Filing a Petition to Seal your record is likely the most appropriate avenue to take. I would highly advise you spend the $25 and obtain a copy of your CORI to see what is on it above and beyond what you believe it will tell. By no means assume you know everything that is on your CORI. Massachusetts does not charge to file a Petition to Seal. You may also want to think about contacting an experienced attorney to discuss your options. Best of luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,464 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,464 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering