How much does it cost for trial? i.e How many hours to prepare with lawyer for one day trial?

San Jose, CA |

I m going through highly conflicted divorce.
I have a mandatory meeting, and if we won't settle by then, we will go for trial.
My ex has already spent $25K for legal fee, and I did for $12K already.
I heard trial is very expensive, and I want to avoid it if it is that expensive.....

Thanks for comments! Lawyer fee is around $300/h. Custody is already recommended by the 730 evaluator. I am expecting to take 5hours to prepare and 3-4 hours attorney fee for half day trial. i.e. less than $3000 for half day, and $4000 for all day.. But I might be wrong, as i heard it is very expensive..

1. Its hard to say as lawyers charge different fees and each lawyer may take a different amount of time to prepare. You should ask your lawyer approximately how much it will cost.

2. hard to say becaUSE it depoends on the complexity of the issues and the attorney hourly rate.

3. In addition to the factors already mentioned, the ultimate cost can also be strikingly increased if it is necessary to call as witnesses or introduce reports by experts, such as forensic accountants, persons who conducted work fitness evaluations, or persons who conducted custody or parental evaluations.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

4. The best person to ask for an estimate of trial costs is your attorney. Your attorney should know how much prep is going to be needed and what it will cost to present your witnesses/evidence. In any case, you heard right, trial is very expensive and rarely worth the cost. If you can find a way to settle, both you and your spouse will come out ahead financially and probably emotionally, too. Good luck!

You may contact Ms. Brown at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.