How much does it cost for an absolute divorce?

Charlotte, NC |
Filed under: Divorce

My marriage was doomed from day one. We have been separated for more than 4 years. He is an addict and I am a Christian. He did not tell me that he was a crack addict. I am considering pursuing an absolute divorce and need to know how much it will cost.

The cost of a Divorce can vary greatly. Court costs are a given and must be paid at the time of filing the divorce. Here in Florida it's $409 on average, not sure in NC. The cost of legal fees will vary greatly, depending mainly on whether you and your spouse are in agreement and resolve issues quickly. If all issues are resolved you can file an uncontested divorce which is generally the simplest and most cost effective.

Good luck to you. If you need more advice I would recommend this site, its a great resource. http://www.divorcememike.com/ask-an-attorney

The answering of this question is not and does not create and Attorney Client relationship, nor should it be construed as legal advice regarding your specific situation. Please contact a Florida Licensed Attorney such as myself in order to retain our services, enter into an Attorney Client relationship, and receive legal advice regarding your specific situation..

Divorce costs vary greatly in North Carolina, and from county to county. Some firms charge in excess of one thousand dollars, while others charge a few hundred. The government charges approximately $225.00 to file a divorce, which the attorney will usually collect and pay on your behalf, so you have to subtract that cost to determine fees. There is also costs incurred to serve the pleadings which range from about $6.00 for certified mail to $25.00 for county sheriff. If service is out of state or by publication, costs will increase dramatically.

That being said, most reasonable firms will charge a total cost of about $800.00 up to $1200.00 for a simple divorce.

The information contained in this response is general information and is not legal advice. Nothing contained in this response should be construed as legal advice or creating an attorney-client relationship between the attorney and the reader. An attorney-client relationship may only be created by express representation agreement between Glenn Doyle of Doyle & Doyle, PA and Client.

I agree with my North Carolina colleague on average costs of $800 to $1,200 for a simple divorce with no complications like equitable distribution of 401k or real property (e.g., marital residence). www.nccustody.com - Divorce and Custody Resources.