How much does it cost for an absolute divorce?

Asked about 2 years ago - Charlotte, NC

My marriage was doomed from day one. We have been separated for more than 4 years. He is an addict and I am a Christian. He did not tell me that he was a crack addict. I am considering pursuing an absolute divorce and need to know how much it will cost.

1. Glenn S. Doyle

3

Answered . Divorce costs vary greatly in North Carolina, and from county to county. Some firms charge in excess of one thousand dollars, while others charge a few hundred. The government charges approximately $225.00 to file a divorce, which the attorney will usually collect and pay on your behalf, so you have to subtract that cost to determine fees. There is also costs incurred to serve the pleadings which range from about $6.00 for certified mail to $25.00 for county sheriff. If service is out of state or by publication, costs will increase dramatically.

That being said, most reasonable firms will charge a total cost of about $800.00 up to $1200.00 for a simple divorce.

2. Jeffrey Miles Cooper

2

Answered . I agree with my North Carolina colleague on average costs of $800 to $1,200 for a simple divorce with no complications like equitable distribution of 401k or real property (e.g., marital residence). www.nccustody.com - Divorce and Custody Resources.

3. Michael P. Hughes

Answered . The cost of a Divorce can vary greatly. Court costs are a given and must be paid at the time of filing the divorce. Here in Florida it's $409 on average, not sure in NC. The cost of legal fees will vary greatly, depending mainly on whether you and your spouse are in agreement and resolve issues quickly. If all issues are resolved you can file an uncontested divorce which is generally the simplest and most cost effective.

Good luck to you. If you need more advice I would recommend this site, its a great resource. http://www.divorcememike.com/ask-an-attorney