How much does an uncontested divorce cost in Massachusetts?

Boston, MA |

My wife and I are getting divorced and we're considering an uncontested divorce. What's the average legal cost of an uncontested divorce? I'm in MA.

I'm looking for a ballpark figure for a run-of-the-mill, no kids divorce. $1,000? $10,000? What are we getting ourselves into?

I think you will find that it varies quite a bit. The level of service that attorneys charge for uncontested divorce also varies. Some attorneys charge a flat fee for all uncontested divorces. Others charge additional fees if there are children involved or complex property division. Still others may choose to charge an hourly rate.

You should contact several attorneys in your area and choose the one that best fits your needs. You are welcome to contact my office to obtain my uncontested divorce rate and discuss the process in greater detail. Chris 617-357-4898.

The legal fees charged, and how they are charged will vary by attorney. Some charge hourly for all work done, while others, including myself, offer some services on a flat fee basis. The fee usually cannot be determined until certain information is obtained. Many attorneys will meet initially without charge to obtain the information needed to determine the fee. You and your wife cannot retain the same attorney, as that will create a conflict of interest for the attorney.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided in response to a "hypothetical" question and provided for general, informational purposes and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The information presented is not legal advice and may change based additional information and research. It is recommended that you speak to an attorney to discuss your specific legal issues.

Not all uncontested divorces are created equal, and quantity does not always equal quality.

I agree with the previous postings that the cost can vary. However, another option is to hire an attorney-mediator who can mediate any unresolved issues between you and your wife and even draft the separation agreement. The mediator may also provide general information on the required forms to fill out and the process. You and your wife could then go to Court and represent yourselves in the divorce hearing (which would only take 15-25 minutes, not including wait time and assuming all the documents are prepared properly). Depending on your situation, this could be a less expensive process than hiring an attorney to represent each of you.

If you would like more information, feel free to contact my office.