How much does an average traffic violation lawyer cost?

Asked over 2 years ago - Glendale Heights, IL

I was pulled over going 30 over but not over 40 miles per hour. How big of a difference will the lawyer make in my case? Will I save more money paying off the fine or by getting a lawyer and getting the fine reduced a little bit? This was my first ticket if it helps anything.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

2

Best Answer

Answered . Gong that much over the speed limit is serious. You really will benefit from an experienced traffic attorney. Call around locally and ask. Many but not all attorneys will quote their fees over the phone. Consult with attorneys if you so choose. The first meeting is generally free for traffic matters. However you secure counsel, you will be better off with than without a lawyer.

2. Ted Harvatin

Pro

2

Answered . It varies and there are no guarantees.

3. Jeffrey Ryan Hall

Pro

Answered . Depending on the circumstances of your case and your previous record, plan on attorneys fees between $250 and $1500. As Mr. Harvatin said, it varies. Other factors on costs depend on whether or not a jury trial or bench trial is included in the fee.

I don't want to dictate what attorneys charge but with your clean record, I see you being charged on the lower end of that spectrum. Your case is barely a petty case. had you been going 31-39 mph over limit, that would be a class B misdemeanor and you could risk jail time of up to 6 months. While that is unlikely, it's still in the range of possibilities.

4. Steven David Armamentos

Answered . Your age is not indicated in your question. In addition to fines, court costs and attorneys fees, you may also have to attend some type of driver improvement program if you're under the age of 21. If you received the ticket in DuPage County, you may be eligible to complete an online version of the Driver Improvement School (DIS). In addition, if you're under the age of 18, you must be accompanied by a parent in traffic court.