How much do lawyers usually charge for estate planning documents?

Lexington, KY |

At the moment I'm looking for an attorney to help my father with his estate planning. We need a will, a deed for some property he owns, power of attorney, and an advance healthcare directive. Roughly what could I expect in fees or number of hours worked in a situation like this?

.

1. It sounds like you have a decent blueprint for an initial discussion with an estate planning attorney. One question I would have is whether or not your father is trying to avoid probate. If so, then a Will is probably not the best choice, since a Will is only effective once it is admitted to probate. If you structure the assets so that title passes automatically upon death, then probate would not be necessary, and neither would a Will.

You are talking about perhaps 2-3 hours worth of work. I would expect the fee to be in the area of $400-500.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

Wills and estates topics