How much debt would I have to have to file for bankrukcy?

I have high debt due to my ex husband and I want all my debt taking away because he is refusing to pay our debt while married and now after divorce.

Roy, WA -

Matthew Scott Berkus

Matthew Scott Berkus

Bankruptcy Attorney - Denver, CO

There is no minimum debt amount to file bankruptcy. A debtor's circumstances are relative.

A person earning only $25,000 per year with $10,000 in debt is just as bad off (actually worse than) as a person making $100,000 per year with $60,000 in debt. Both need bankruptcy.

Eryk Christopher Gabhran Boston

Eryk Christopher Gabhran Boston

Bankruptcy Attorney - Winchester, VA

Technically, there is no minimum debt required to file but it becomes less worthwhile if your debts are low. You should discuss your situation with a bankruptcy attorney to see if the costs are worth the benefits. You should also review what steps you can take to get your ex to pay his share. Did you sign a settlement or is there an order requiring him to pay his share of the marital debts?

For informational purposes only. Not legal advice.
Bruce Clement

Bruce Clement

Family Law Attorney - Auburn, WA

You should re-post this on the bankruptcy forum.

Robert Charles Russell

Robert Charles Russell

Bankruptcy Attorney - Vancouver, WA

There is no minimum figure. Simply, if you have more than you can pay, then it is reasonable to look at the options. One option is bankruptcy. Yours is a common bankruptcy scenario.