How much debt would I have to have to file for bankrukcy?

Roy, WA |

I have high debt due to my ex husband and I want all my debt taking away because he is refusing to pay our debt while married and now after divorce.

1. There is no minimum debt amount to file bankruptcy. A debtor's circumstances are relative.

A person earning only $25,000 per year with $10,000 in debt is just as bad off (actually worse than) as a person making $100,000 per year with $60,000 in debt. Both need bankruptcy.

2. Technically, there is no minimum debt required to file but it becomes less worthwhile if your debts are low. You should discuss your situation with a bankruptcy attorney to see if the costs are worth the benefits. You should also review what steps you can take to get your ex to pay his share. Did you sign a settlement or is there an order requiring him to pay his share of the marital debts?

For informational purposes only. Not legal advice.

3. You should re-post this on the bankruptcy forum.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

4. There is no minimum figure. Simply, if you have more than you can pay, then it is reasonable to look at the options. One option is bankruptcy. Yours is a common bankruptcy scenario.

My response is general information not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. Seek advice from a qualified attorney to see how the law fits your specific facts. I am licensed to practice law in Washington and Oregon.

Sued for debt topics