How much could a 1964 civil rights act and 1990 ADA violation in my favor payout through an EEOC vs ???

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

A judge ruled in EEOC's favor (mine) that a company has violated my civil rights and the ADA Act. This case from my understanding is a class action; however, I was informed that my claim was filed separate but my settlement amount is being included with the class action dollar amount.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It appears you may have a lawyer who filed a case for you. Your question contains far too few facts to answer and is too complex in nature to answer here. Go speak with your attorney. If you do not have an attorney, bring all your paperwork to a civil rights or employment attorney for a thorough analysis. It is not possible to answer you in this simple online forum.

  2. Thomas O. Moens

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . When someone asking a question on Avvo indicates he or she has an attorney, the best answer is always, "Ask your attorney." He or she will have far more information and insight into your particular situation. Good luck.

    By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to... more
  3. Marilynn Mika Spencer

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I am a California attorney and cannot give legal advice in your state. My comments are information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT OFFER SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I mention your state’s laws, it only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state to learn your rights.

    Where are you getting this information? It doesn't make sense, so I sure hope you aren't being told this by an attorney. Class actions do not work in the way suggested by your question. A class action is a lawsuit where a large number of people have claims based on a common legal violation, as well as other requirements. Members of the class have the right to withdraw from the class and file their own individual lawsuit. If they do, then their cases are handled as individual cases and any settlement amount is not included in the class settlement amount.

    If you are represented by an attorney, talk to him or her. No one on Avvo knows anything about your case and cannot possibly speculate on its value. If you are not represented by an attorney, get one. Do not rely on the EEOC to represent your interests because the EEOC's client is the government, not you, even if you serve to benefit from the EEOC's actions. Your own attorney will be in a far better place to represent you and protect your rights, including any that the EEOC does not handle.

    You can find a plaintiffs employment attorney on the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) web site NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys representing working people. You can search by location and practice area. Also, NELA has affiliates in every state and many cities which are listed on the NELA site. Not all NELA attorneys are named on the web site or affiliate site. This should not influence your selection; attorneys can choose whether or not to purchase a listing in the national directory, and each affiliate has its own rules for listing.

    I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

    @MikaSpencer * * * * * * PLEASE READ: All legal actions have time limits, called statutes... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,658 answers this week

3,404 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,658 answers this week

3,404 attorneys answering