How much compensation can I expect for pain and suffering? How can I get the maximum amount for pain and suffering?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was a passenger in a motorcycle accident in which the other vehicle was found at fault by both the police and both insurance parties . I was transported to the ER for trauma . I had 50 stitches in my lip and chin among other bruises , swelling and scrapes on my knee and neck . I now have $ 30s + in medical bills .

1. Majid Seyfi

15

Answered . If you don't have an attorney, get one immediately. It appears that you have a very strong case.

2. Carlos J. Jimenez

15

Answered . Consult with a local personal injury lawyer. In the meantime do not any documents until you have them read by a lawyer.

3. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

14

Answered . It's fine for lawyers to boast about their past successes and tell you what a good case you have, but don't don't start counting your settlement money yet. What you recover may very well be limited by the available insurance. Your medical bills may end up coming out of your recovery, depending on what kind of coverage there was for medical expenses. You definitely need to retain a lawyer. The insurance companies are not in business to give away money and they always try to take advantage of people who are unrepresented.

4. Justin Drayton Graham

12

Answered . Insurance companies commonly settle for twice the medical expenses, although you may get more or less depending on the facts of your case. There is little doubt that having an attorney wll get you more for pain and suffering.

5. Michael Raymond Daymude

10

Answered . As one of my colleagues has mentioned, your recovery is likely to be limited by available insurance. For example, if the other driver had minimum limits of 15/30 you have already exceeded the available insurance money for that driver just with your medical expenses. Unless there is an underinsured motorist policy that covers you for your excess damages you're going to have a problem getting any more that $15K for your injuries in this example.

There is also the issue of medical reimbursement if you have private health insurance and/or the hospital lien you’re your emergency medical treatment. An attorney will be able to navigate these waters for you and, hopefully, there is enough insurance to completely cover you for your loss. Unfortunately, that may not be the case. It is definitely early to be counting your chickens.

Pro

11

Answered . You get the maximum by retaining a local personal injury lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  7. Paul J Molinaro

Pro

7

Answered . I've been posting my biased opinions and comments here and there on the Internet and Avvo for a while now (since Al Gore invented the online attorney forums, I believe), and every time I see a post about a person doing battle all by his or her non-lawyer self against an insurance company, I keep thinking the post might as well read something like, “my no-insurance nephew needs to get that brain aneurysm removed, but it’s located right near his mah-doola. His headaches have gotten so bad he's up to eight cans of Rheingold a day for the pain. So, what I need to know is whether I should use my Black ‘n Decker cordless to go in through the back of his thick skull or through his big mouth...”

No one who has suffered personal injury should do battle against an insurance company without a lawyer. No one but a neurosurgeon should do brain surgery, even if one’s nephew is a schmuck.

We personal injury lawyers - yes, even ones like me who handle motorcycle accidents - offer free consultations. We handle cases on a contingent basis. We actually love the game, the battling, the negotiations, the tactics, etc. An injured person should just worry about getting better.

An injured victim’s lawyer will consult with medical experts to determine how much past, present, and future medical treatment will be needed and how much said treatment has and will cost. An injured victim’s lawyer will look as past, present, and future losses of income with regard to job availability, loss of advancement potential, and medical insurance issues. An injured victim’s lawyer will handle all of these issues and much more... all the while handling the formidable adversary known as the insurance company.

When a claim involves personal injury and potentially tens of thousands in medical bills, the failure to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer would be the first step down the wrong path. Since many of us personal injury types offer free consultations and take personal injury cases on a contingent basis, there really is nothing to fear in calling us.

- Paul

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

8. Neil James Fraser

7

Answered . Mr. Crosner is correct regarding the value of your case. It depends on liability, credibility, excellent documentation of injuries, lack of prior injuries of a similar nature, how articulate you may be in explaining your pain and suffering and how good your attorney is at painting the fullest of pictures on the damage canvas.

9. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

5

Answered . You need an in person attorney review. Personal injury attorneys work on a percentage of the recovery, so you can expect the attorney to work hard to get the best economical resolution for you. Please feel free to contact me for an appointment in our Long Beach office located at the 710/405. 800-809-8848

10. Andrew Robert Steiker

3

Answered . There are a number of factors involved in determining how much you can get for pain and suffering. Among these are the nature and extent of your injuries, the type of treatment you had, the amount of the bills, whether your injuries have resolved or whether you have residuals, whether you had to miss time from work. A good personal injury attorney should be able to review everything and give you a better idea of what your case is worth. There is another factor here, and that is how much insurance the other party had. While that doesn't necessarily limit your recovery, it is often very difficult to obtain more than the policy limit, especially if the other party does not have much in the way of assets.

One or more answers have been taken down.