Skip to main content

How much child support should i get for my new born baby?

Lynwood, CA |

im not wit my baby's father & i need him to pay child support he gets pain like 13 $ an hour how much will i receive ?

Attorney Answers 3


It depends on how much time the Father sees the child. With him making about $13.00 per hour the support obligation would be about $450.00 per month. You should contact the Department of Child Support Services to get an order established.

Mark as helpful




so in order for him to pay child support he has to be able to see the baby ?

Edmund Lee Montgomery

Edmund Lee Montgomery


No. But if he does see the child the support amount could reduce.


Child Support in California is determined by a calculator. Although there are about 20 different items that can make a difference, by far the two items with the largest impact are (1) the income of both parties; and, (2) the amount of time the "noncustodial parent" has primary physical responsibility for the child(ren). In your case, the Dad appears to be the "noncustodial parent" (I use quote marks because the term is offensive in many situations, but it is still the nomenclature being used). If he is primarily responsible for the child less than 5% of the time, the truth is that your income has no effect of the result (you could put in $1,000/month or $25,000/month and it would not change the result). If he has more than 5% of the time as the primary custodial parent, the amount will be lowered slightly to reflect the reality that he is paying some of the expenses for the child while he/she is in her care.

Although there are different calculators out there, they are programmed to reach the same result (to be honest, the results are not always exactly the same, but they are very close). A free version of the calculator can be found by clicking on the following link:

This calculator will give you a general idea of what you can expect a judge to order. If you are unable to afford a private lawyer (and many people are), you should at least seek the assistance of the Los Angeles County Department of Child Support Services. A link to their website is here: They will not represent you in court, but they will enforce whatever order is made, and any lawyer will tell you that enforcement is the real problem you face. They will also assist you in getting the matter before the court, which can be a confusing process for most people who do not possess a law degree. Their services are free (although some cases are charged a small administrative fee of $25/year).

Mark as helpful


I agree with both of my colleagues. This is an area where you need to seek assistance and there is free and low cost help out there.

Note this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on. Each situation is fact specific and court specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

Mark as helpful

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics