How much can they take out of my check for child support?

Asked about 2 years ago - Cromwell, MN

I was told be for that they can only take up to a percent of my check

1. Zachary Branca Smith

3

Answered . It depends on your circumstances. The basic guidelines are (from the MN DHS):

The Consumer Credit Protection Act (CCPA) limits the total amount of child support that employers may withhold from the employee’s pay. The act does not apply to independent contractors.

The act allows an employer to withhold up to:
    • 50 percent (50%) of the employee’s disposable earnings for child support or spousal support if the employee is supporting another spouse or child
    • 60 percent (60%) if the employee is not supporting another spouse or child
    • an additional 5 percent (5%) for support payments more than 12 weeks in arrears.

2. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with counsel. In addition, the amount they're able to take will depend on how much you're earning.

3. Neila J Straub

Answered . You can easily check your local laws. Most courts have lawyers available to answer these questions. Just find out when the "Lawyer of the Day" is in your area.