How much can opposing counsel get in counsel fees for divorce in NYS?

Shirley, NY |

How much can an opposing counsel get in fees from a monied spouse party in NYS in a divorce action pushing it all the way to trial and appeals? Does it matter what the financial condition of the monied spouse is or is the sky the limit?

Issues: Child Custody (Forensic recommends to me, they oppose) and Spousal Support for a one year marriage (they demand 5 years)

1. It depends on quite a few factors, but generally the sky is not the limit. Ask your attorney or hire one who can give you advice on this issue and others.

The content of this post is not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. I am not your attorney and no attorney-client relationship has been formed based upon this exchange.

2. The court can make an award of counsel fees based upon the relative incomes of the parties, the services performed, the experience of the attorney and other factors. The "sky" is not the limit. It depends on the specific facts of your case.

3. It isn't that the sky is the limit - but the fee depends upon the litigation. What are the issues? Is one side being unreasonable? Those are key factors.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.