How much can I sue my former employer for disability discrimination.

Las Vegas, NV |

I currently have an open case with the EEOC . Here's the short version of what happened . My doctor changed my depression meds . I fell into a very deep depression diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder . Out for 6wks HR told me they couldn't hold my position any longer . I had no choice I had to go back although I was not ready . When I did get back to work I was repeatedly harassed by my coworkers about my depression . I went to my direct supervisor who did nothing . I then went to my manager and we managed to work out some accommodations . However when my coworkers found out the harassment only got worse . Went to my director who did not help but SIDED with my coworkers . Went to HR and I was asked to resign . My emp . review stated I was a very good employee and I agree . I have mediation tomorrow

You would look first for back pay, what you have missed by not working (minus unemployment and your current income), front pay (maybe 6 mos to 2 years' worth, depending on your time at the employer), consequential damages (costs of moving, lost things, extra medical bills, etc.), then perhaps a few thousand for emotional distress (not as easy to get).

Clark County, Nevada practitioner.

Thank you. Went to mediation. They had 2 corporate lawyers there and only gave me 4,000.00. They basically bullied me into that. They are going to send me papers to sign. What really upsets me is that I have the burden of proof and they had very LITTLE proof so they win. Principal vs. Corp Lawyers....corp. lawyers win. I know I'm right I know what happened. But sadly that doesn't carry any weight any more. I do appreciate your time in answering my question,

Ryan Alexander

Ryan Alexander

I'm glad you got some sort of resolution to it. You can't be intimidated by the corporate lawyers in the future - it's part of their mind-games. They try and pull it on other attorneys too. Once you're around them enough and you see them try and make erroneous, nonsensical or absolute bullcrap arguments with a straight face (and passionately), you realize that it is a lot of posturing and bluffing.

This is a very complicated question. Under the ADA, you can get back pay, front pay, compensatory damages, pain and suffering, attorneys fees, reasonable court costs, and interest. Every case is different. I have been informed that 7 out of 10 cases in Nevada go in favor of the employer, so be cautious and best of luck!

Ryan Alexander

Ryan Alexander

7 of 10? "So you're sayyying there's a chance!?"