How much can i sue Liberty mutual auto insurance company for a bad faith policy

Asked about 1 year ago - Liberty, MO

They offered me a low settlement but said they would pay all the hospital bills which they didn't now they won't even talk to me on the phone they avoid me.

Also failed to mention i went to the hospital had a bruised chest with and the driver had full coverage and the amount they offered me for pain and suffering was mixed in with the time i missed from work. My insurance paid for some of the bills which i don't get why? Some of the bills were sent to collection which liberty said they were gonna pay. I haven't cashed the pain and suffering check they gave me so could i get more with a lawyer or is that set for good? Also any lawyers that think they could help me i would be willing to work with.

1. Noah Keith Garcia

2

Answered . It might not be too late to speak with an attorney. Make sure you are honest and forthcoming with that attorney too, as accuracy in this type of case will be crucial for both you and any consulting attorney.

2. Matthew Christopher Heger

1

Answered . You do not sound like you have a bad faith claim. Instead you just received a bad offer, which is typical. If you agreed to the deal already--especially if you signed a release--then you are out of luck. If you never agreed to the amount and they just sent you a check, then you should at least talk to a lawyer. Almost all personal injury lawyers (myself included) will offer a free consultation to assess whether you have a case. A good car crash lawyer will negotiate both your insurance claim and your resulting medical bills to maximize the money you receive.

3. Jonathan D. McDowell

1

Answered . Your insurance probably paid because you might have had med-pay insurance which is normally up to a certain amount $1,000 or $5,000. So that wouldn't cover all the bills.

If you have not cashed the Liberty check and have not signed a release then you still have remedies against the company. If the company attested that it would pay your medical bills and then didn't send the hospital enough money to cover it, you might have a bad faith claim. In Missouri its a bad faith vexatious refusal to settle. The requirements to fulfill that are pretty strict, but that is not uncommon with insurance companies.

You need to get an attorney that has been through this before and isn't afraid to litigate the claims (some attorneys try to get quick settlements from insurance companies and will drop you if you don't settle or the company refuses the claim).

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

2

Answered . In this life you get what you negotiate not what you deserve. A lawyer would have avoided you a lot of aggravation and made sure you were adequately compensated for your pain and suffering, loss of wages and out of pocket costs. If you have not signed a settlement agreement and have not cashed the check , go to a local lawyer and ask for a free consultation to see whether they can take your case still. Best of luck.