How much can I make while collecting SSI and unemployment before SS is taken out again?

Minneapolis, MN |

Got laid off and will collect SSI and when my serverance runs out I want to collect unemployment but dont know how much I can earn in a year before SS starts taking from this money.

If you will receive SSI, then you can receive $20 per month in unearned income before the offset occurs or $100 in earned income before a partial offset occurs.

If you will receive SSDI or RIB, then those answers do not apply. SSI is the welfare component of the Social Security Act. DI (disability insurance benefits) or RIB (retirement insurance benefits) are the types of benefits that are "earned" by paying FICA taxes.

To add to the previous answer, if you have unearned income, your SSi would be reduced $1 for $1 for any unearned income after the first $20 each month. For earned income, it's $1 for every $2 earned after the initial amount that is allowed. Check with your local social security office.

I hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thank you!

My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed as an attorney in the state where the law applies.