How much can I expect my insurance to go up following my first DUI offense?

Edmond, OK |

Does this just change by insurance provider, or is there any rule of thumb I can use to guess?

.

No one on this list can answer your question. You should ask your carrier or its agent.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Sorry but that is like asking your insurance agent how much a lawyer will charge for a divorce. But, because I am both, an attorney and an insurance agent (but not in your state), I will just tell you that it depends on each insurance company. Some companies will drop your coverage all together or not insure you at all. Others will increase your rate, but each company will be different. Call around to different insurance agencies. Some specialize in your type of situation and will have a pretty good rate. They will all run your driving record so there is no reason to hide it from them but I wouldn't run and tell my current carrierif I were you. Good luck!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.

Without a doubt, your best resource in answering hat question is your agent. Keep in mind that it takes a bit of time for a conviction to cross you record and it may take a little time for the insurance company to check your history so you may get a reprieve on an immediate rate increase.

Good luck!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Traffic tickets topics