How much can I ask for the compensation from the driver's insurance company

Asked over 1 year ago - Montvale, NJ

Last year when I was riding a bike, a car bumped me at a stop sign. He did not see me. I fell down from the bike and was sent to emergency room by 911. Nothing broken. MRI says it's good. But the doctors and Independent Medical Evaluator say I do need an arthroscopic surgery. Almost one year. How much can I ask for the compensation from the driver's insurance company? $20,000 is too high?

1. Matthew Louis Solomon

Pro

14

Answered . Contact a personal injury attorney who is licensed in NJ to handle it for you. No one can give you a proper answer without reviewing your entire file and looking over your treatment. A competent attorney will be able to get you the best recovery and be able to work with the Defense adjuster.

2. Matthew C Simon

Pro

10

Answered . If you were a biking rider and a car hit you at a stop sign, it sounds like it was not your fault. If you need surgery, it sounds like you have a serious injury. Based on those 2 facts alone, I would advise you to immediately seek an experienced personal injury attorney to represent you and advocate on your behalf. Generally, insurance companies will not give you fair compensation without an attorney. Get maximum compensation. Many attorneys, such as myself, work on a contingency basis and offer free 30 minute consultations. Good luck.

3. Robert W Rubinstein

10

Answered . Based on what you have described, the answer to your specific question is that the demand is not too high and may in fact be too low. There are a variety of factors that go into the process ranging from the insurance policy limits, the nature of the surgery, the body part involved, etc. I agree with the other answers that it is best for you to consult with any attorney.

4. Gregory S. Shields

9

Answered . As already stated, don't make any demand of the insurance company. Hire an experienced personal injury attorney to negotiate for you.

5. Seth Jason Greenhill

10

Answered . It is best that you retain an attorney who can go over your medical records as well as find out the type of insurance coverage that the driver has. Normally, the attorney and the insurance company will negotiate a settlement depending upon the severity of your injuries and outstanding medical bills. Therefore, you should seek the assistance of an attorney right away.

6. Merry Melinda Fountain

Pro

9

Answered . Although I understand why you are trying to handle this yourself, it is a mistake. You weren't at fault and from the information provided you were seriously injured. A personal injury attorney in your area will know how to maximize what you receive from the insurance company. The insurance company adjuster's job is to save money for their company, and they are settling a claim for the person who injured you. There is also a statute of limitation for filing your action. It is very important to obtain a consultation as soon as possible from a personal injury attorney. Most initial consultations are free.

Pro

7

Answered . Don't play lawyer, retain one.

8. Anne Marie Breslin

8

Answered . Is the surgery to your shoulder, your knee, some other part of your body? You may be undervaluing your case. Please consult a few attorneys who specialize in personal injury matters and then hire one. You are not saving yourself any money doing this on your own. Additionally, the statute of limitations - the time you have to file a lawsuit is two years after the date of accident, but it's better to begin working with a lawyer sooner than later.

Good luck with the surgery if you decide to proceed with it.

9. Michael R Crosner

8

Answered . Do not attempt to represent yourself, that is a BIG MISTAKE. Consult a local personal injury attorney - most offer free initial consultations, so what have you got to lose.

10. Dean P Murray

6

Answered . Consult a New Jersey lawyer to discuss this matter further. Personal Injury cases are hard to assess without a consultation where your medical records can be comprehensively reviewed by the lawyer.

11. Clifford Horwitz

Pro

5

Answered . You should contact a local personal injury attorney to handle this for you.

12. Joseph Monaco

4

Answered . It is not an easy question to answer without more information. For example, how much time from work will you miss because of the surgery; will there be a scar; will you still have limitations after the surgery? Factors such as these need to be considered. I would consult with a New Jersey personal injury lawyer before committing to anything. You can view my website for information about the services I offer.

13. Yolanda Navarrete

3

Answered . Based on the facts you present, $20,000 demand seems too low. Of course, I would need to review the police report and medical reports to give you an answer you can relie on. You have two years to file a law suit, from the date of accident.

14. John Anthony Mattiacci Jr.

1

Answered . As others have stated, you should speak with an attorney. It is difficult for any attorney to properly advise you as to value without reviewing your medical records, the amount of past and future bills, and the effect of any injury, surgery or recovery on your ability to earn money or work. Our firm looks at all of these factors and more in valuing a case. Hiring an attorney will be the best way for you to maximize your total recovery. Best of luck.

One or more answers have been taken down.