How much can a michigan attorney charge for contingency fees in a auto case?

Warren, MI |

My lawyer is trying to take 33% of my medical bill money in a michigan auto case and we didn't even go to court or anything. Once he takes that money I won't even have enough to cover the medical bills. He already received 33 percent of my pain and suffering settlement. So at the end of the day he will be taking 2 and a half to three times what I took home out of the settlement. I agreed to pay him 33 percent of what I get in a contingency agreement, how is this possible in Michigan?

1. I practice in Michigan and attorneys are permitted to collect 1/3rd of anything they collect for you. Some lawyers take a fee on the medical portion of No Fault cases, while others do not. My firm does not take a fee on the medical portion of the claim so that you aren't left owing medical providers, but it is permitted. You should read the contract you signed with your lawyer. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Whiting Law - 248-355-5900.

2. I agree with the other attorney

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Daniel Buttafuoco has been voted BEST LAWYER five years in a row and has represented clients all over the United States. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Daniel Buttafuoco strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. www.1800NowHurt.com

3. Some bad lawyers will take a portion of the medical money, but it is bad practice. Tell him that is unacceptable, and if he takes it, you will ask for fee arbitration. Good luck

Free Consultation. 1-877-258-3083. Serving the Nation. Only 29% Fee Deducted.

4. All attorneys' fees are negotiable at the time that you enter into that retainer agreement. While your attorney may not have gone to court, there are many things that occur outside of the courtroom that go into a successful resolution of your case. If you have concerns about the "net" you are receiving, it's best to discuss this fully with you attorney.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

5. Fairly standard rate and procedure nationwide.

You agreed to pay him 33% of what you got, now the case is over (and won) and you don't want to pay.

Unfortunately, I don't believe you have any recourse.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

6. I've written extensively on this subject, and on what is and is not permitted by Michigan attorneys who are charging a contingent fee on undisputed medical bills. Perhaps this piece that I wrote, and especially the last section on what you can do will be of help:
    http://www.michiganautolaw.com/auto-lawyers-blog/2011/10/26/when-personal-injury-lawyers-cross-the-line/