How much can a michigan attorney charge for contingency fees in a auto case?

Asked over 2 years ago - Warren, MI

My lawyer is trying to take 33% of my medical bill money in a michigan auto case and we didn't even go to court or anything. Once he takes that money I won't even have enough to cover the medical bills. He already received 33 percent of my pain and suffering settlement. So at the end of the day he will be taking 2 and a half to three times what I took home out of the settlement. I agreed to pay him 33 percent of what I get in a contingency agreement, how is this possible in Michigan?

1. Paul J. Whiting

7

Answered . I practice in Michigan and attorneys are permitted to collect 1/3rd of anything they collect for you. Some lawyers take a fee on the medical portion of No Fault cases, while others do not. My firm does not take a fee on the medical portion of the claim so that you aren't left owing medical providers, but it is permitted. You should read the contract you signed with your lawyer. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Whiting Law - 248-355-5900.

2. Steven M. Gursten

Pro

7

Answered . I've written extensively on this subject, and on what is and is not permitted by Michigan attorneys who are charging a contingent fee on undisputed medical bills. Perhaps this piece that I wrote, and especially the last section on what you can do will be of help:
    http://www.michiganautolaw.com/auto-lawyers-blo...

3. Daniel Paul Buttafuoco

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with the other attorney

Pro

3

Answered . Some bad lawyers will take a portion of the medical money, but it is bad practice. Tell him that is unacceptable, and if he takes it, you will ask for fee arbitration. Good luck

Free Consultation. 1-877-258-3083. Serving the Nation. Only 29% Fee Deducted.
  5. Marc Sean Hurd

3

Answered . All attorneys' fees are negotiable at the time that you enter into that retainer agreement. While your attorney may not have gone to court, there are many things that occur outside of the courtroom that go into a successful resolution of your case. If you have concerns about the "net" you are receiving, it's best to discuss this fully with you attorney.

6. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

Answered . Fairly standard rate and procedure nationwide.

You agreed to pay him 33% of what you got, now the case is over (and won) and you don't want to pay.

Unfortunately, I don't believe you have any recourse.