How much and how soon could I expect for a settlement?

Peoria, IL |

I fractured my 4th metacarpal in my dominant hand at work about 2 months ago. Been off work ever since. No surgery. I'm 27 years old. Probably going back to work in the next few days. Wondering how long it will take for insurance to make an offer and rough idea of how much.

1. This appears to be a workers comp question. It certainly is not a personal injury question. I have changed the practice area.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.

2. Workers' compensation cases depend on many factors, such as age, job description, injury, treatment, restrictions, wage rate, and impairment rating.

I urge you to not settle your case yourself.

The insurer won't offer you a thing. They'll simply hope you blow the limitations period before filing. Oh, no
    One told you you had to file something? Tough.

And without a lawyer ready to try your case, they have no reason to offer you a thing.

Get a lawyer and don't leave money on the table.

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

3. That is going to largely depend on the extent of future medical care and degree of ongoing disability. You need to get a clear idea of future medicals and your impairment rating and job restrictions. Quickly.

4. Attorney Hoffman has provided you with sound advise that you should follow.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

5. Mr. Hoffman is right on the mark. Without a lawyer the insurance company may never offer you a settlement , a value of your case takes more of an analysis than you think.

No attorney client relationship has been formed until you sign a representation agreement.

6. I agree with Mr. Hoffman. We see people leaving money on the table all the time trying to settle cases on their own. Do yourself the biggest favor of your life and use a free consultation with a Work injury attorney. Good luck,

7. 1.) The Workers' Compensation insurance is under no obligation to offer anything, EVER.
    2.) If an offer is made, it will be far less than what you would get if you hire an experienced attorney, even AFTER you pay his fee.
    3.) We cannot tell you what the claim is worth without knowing your residual impairment and you wages.
    4.) Even if we told you, how would you argue? "I want more" isn't much of a strategy.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.