How might one go about attaining emancipation from their parents as a minor?

Asked over 1 year ago - Athens, GA

I am currently sixteen years of age, nearing the age of seventeen and have come out to be bisexual to my parents roughly a year ago. They, upon finding out, were extremely violent and have fit the term of abusive rather fully since, being both physical and neglectful to my care. I would, therefore, appreciate the opportunity to became legally emancipated from their care. Despite this, I don't know what to expect if I were to go down this path, or who I can speak to reasonably in order to make it happen while keeping myself safe.

I have been threatened if I were to go to anyone about it, and my parents have also threatened to send me to Youth Detention Center for the fact of being bisexual alone. What organizations or groups may I contact? What can I expect, afterwards?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Benjamin Green

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I would add that the judges in this area will look heavily into your employment situation and your ability to live on your own and support yourself. I have taken calls from minors in the past who wanted to seek emancipation but had no job and were planning on crashing at a friends and that, almost always, won't fly when you get in front of a judge.

  2. A J. Williams


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This link lays it all out for you. I would also advise you to contact the legal aid society in your area. Start with

  3. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Williams laid it out well.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  4. Lee Alan Thompson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The link provided by Mr. Williams sums it up.

    Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful"... more

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Child rights in child custody

Protecting a child's rights is the most important concern in child custody cases. A parent may have parental rights terminated in the best interest of a child.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now