How might my ex and I change the specific transfer of assets from what is stated in our certified divorce decree?

Asked 4 months ago - Saint Paul, MN

My ex and I would like to change the way our certified divorce decree allocates assets. The reallocation would change which specific IRAs/mutual funds/annuities/etc. are transferred from one to the other. It would NOT change the amounts specified in the decree. We agree on these changes.

How might we do this?

Might there be a form or template available that would let us do this without incurring additional attorney’s fees?

Thank you.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Matthew Thomas Majeski


    Contributor Level 18
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You could submit a post-decree stipulation to amend. I'm not sure that the MN courts website has such a form template.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the... more
  2. Tricia Dwyer

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Further detail as to your wishes and goals would need to be known in order to advise you appropriately. A stipulation (agreement) to amend portions of your divorce may be appropriate. I urge you to confer with an experienced attorney so she/he may assist and advise you. There is no requirement that you return to the attorney you had secured previously. Tricia Dwyer Esq.

    MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL - ST CLOUD. This law firm may accept avvo posters as clients but this post is not legal... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Decree

A divorce decree is the order a judge will issue that finalizes a divorce after proceedings have ended.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now