How many years do you have to be married to receive alimony in the state of Texas.

Asked about 2 years ago - Columbus, TX

I have been married for 3yrs 4months. My husband an I have 1 child together. I didn't work for two years of our marriage I was a stay at home mom.

1. Arthur Harold Geffen

Pro

Answered . For Alimony which is different than spousal maintenance, you must be married 10 years. Spousal maintenance is a different animal altogether and is often a negotiated amount in addition to child support.

2. Todd W. White

Pro

Answered . The answer is found in Texas Family Code Section 8.051 which states that, in general, you must be married ten years. There are exceptions for cases involving domestic violence, or if you must care for a child of the marriage who needs so much care that you really can't work. Please consult with a family attorney in this regard. You will be glad you did.

3. Theresa Cay Langford

Answered . I agree with Mr. Geffen and Mr. White, and add that an additional ground that does not require the 10-year period, is if you have a physical or mental disability that prevents you from providing for your needs.