How many years should I be in USA to ask my employer to file for GC?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

Hi
I am an international citizen (India) and entered US in 2010 on F1 and obtained my MS in STEM field and right now working on OPT.My employer is willing to file for H1B this year.But I was wondering if he would be able to file for GC along with H1B, or is there a time period that I have to be in US to do that , like I have heard that you need to be in US for 5 years to apply for GC.
Please tell me more about the process I would be able to go through without much hassle.

1. Irene Vaisman

1

Answered . you really should schedule a consultation to discuss your case with an attorney and then it would be highly recommended to retain an attorney to actually do all the paper work

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

1

Answered . The green card process can take a very long time for some people, so consult with an attorney to see which category that you might adjust under. Then you will know how much time you will need. For most people, it takes about 5 years to adjust, so do not wait and prepare yourself with information.

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

1

Answered . I believe you are misinformed regarding having a physical presence in the U.S. before an employer can start your GC process. Having said that speak to a competent attorney to see under which category you would qualify for permanent residency. The time frame largely depends on the category and the country of changeability.