How many ways can a trial for custody be delayed?

Homestead, PA |

My wife aunt n uncle filed temp custody for two of her boys we had a trial date till they fired their lawyer day before trial. We now have a trial in march.

The answer depends upon the judge and the county. I know at least one judge in Montco who would not let a party fire a lawyer immediately prior to a hearing and then ask for a continuance. Other judges do not care. At some point, delays become unreasonable. Speak with local counsel to get an idea of how your county judges handle these issues.

We have a lawyer in Maryland n want a straight answer if there is one. The temp. Custody was granted cause of homeless claim.

Brian Edward Sipe

Brian Edward Sipe

Judges have great discretion in family matters. Unfortunately this means that no straight answer exists. Sorry I cannot give you any more help than this.

If any others have opinions or suggestions please let us know

If the other side tries this tactic again, you should ask the judge to allow them to fire their attorney only if it does not delay the trial. You should take this additional time to prepare for the trial. I suggest that you consult with an attorney to make sure you have everything properly prepared for trial.

This answer is for informative purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. This Q&A forum does not create an attorney/client relationship. If you have a legal concern that is important to you, I urge you to consult with an attorney. For those who are concerned about their ability to afford legal assistance, the ACBA's Lawyer Referral Service is here to help: http://www.acbalrs.org .

We have a lawyer just wanting as much info as possible but ty for your input

Child custody topics