Skip to main content

How many times one person can do co-sponsor in one year??

Seagoville, TX |

On january I did co-sponsor for my friend ,because his income was not enough,to bring his wife here in USA. His wife already got Green Card. I want to do another co-sponsor for my friend wife who is already here in US. I am single, in this condition does both (one who already got GC/and another I am going to co-sponsor) count on my fom I-864 or onle 2 (me and the new immigrant whom I am going to co-sponsor)? how may household member will be on my form I-864???? help please...

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Yes, any immigrants you have already sponsored will count toward your household size along with the immigrant you plan to file a new I-864 in support of.

  2. Do not make your co-sponsorship an enterprise.
    I appreciate the fact that you are willing to help, however, your financial responsibilities to assist qualifying petitioners are not limitless.
    In my opinion, if it would be discovered that you co-sponsor several people in a short period of time, it could not only raise brows but create issues whether your sponsorship is financially and legally appropriate.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  3. As many times as you qualify for financially. However, USCIs can look closer at your intentions to make sure it is legal

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

  4. However many times your income will allow, given that each one adds one more person to consider. The sponsorship does not end when the person receives the green card. See link below.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  5. Dear Let Me Sponsor Everyone:

    Knee-jerk reaction from the Peanut Gallery.

    This type of question really fries my fritters. I do not find it to be an act of grace, but a clear abuse of the system in my opinion. My brother lawyer made a good point: Do not make your co-sponsorship an enterprise. Are you charging these people to be their sponsor?

    Qualifying as a Sponsor.

    To qualify as a sponsor, you must demonstrate that your income is at least 125 percent of the current Federal poverty guideline for your household size. The Federal poverty line, for purposes of Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, is updated annually and can be found on Form 1-864P, Poverty Guidelines. For instance, the 2012 HHS Federal Poverty Guidelines for a household size of 5 is $33, 762 if not a member of the armed forces and 27,010 if an active member of the armed forces petitioning for their spouse or child.

    Counting Household Size.

    Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and any immigrants previously sponsored with a Form 1-864 or Form 1-864 EZ affidavit of support whom you are still obligated to support. If necessary to meet the income requirements to be a sponsor, you may include additional relatives (adult children, parents, or siblings) as part of your household size as long as they have the same principle residence as you and promise to use their income and resources in support of the intending immigrant(s).


    A sponsor completes and signs Form 1-864. A sponsor is required to be at least 18 years old and domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions. The petitioning Sponsor must sign and complete Form 1464, even if a joint sponsor also submits an 1-864 to meet the income requirement. The list below identifies who must become sponsors by completing and signing a Form 1-864.

    1. The U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident who filed a Form 1-130 for a family member, Form 1-129F for a fiance(e), or Form 1-600 or 1-600A for an orphan.

    2. The U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who filed an employment-based immigrant visa petition (Form 1-140) for a spouse, parent, son, daughter, or sibling who:

    a. has a significant ownership interest (five percent or more) in the business which filed the employment-based immigrant visa petition; or

    b. is related to the intending immigrant as a spouse, parent, son, daughter, or sibling.

    Joint Sponsor Loophole.

    I am assuming that you are signing on as a joint sponsor of your friends. A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions, and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant. There may be no more than two joint sponsors. A joint sponsor must be able to meet the income requirements for all the persons he or she is sponsoring without combining resources with the petitioning sponsor or a second joint sponsor.

    Caveats (warnings):

    Some points to remember: Your obligation to support the immigrant(s) you are sponsoring in the affidavit of support will continue until the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work in the United States. 40 qualifying quarters of work (credits) generally equates to ten years of work. The obligation also ends upon death, loss of status, or if the immigrant leaves the United States. Divorce does not end the sponsorship obligation, which may be important in your case.

    Drew Cicconi
    Attorney at Law

    Disclaimer: This is a general discussion of legal principles by a California lawyer and does not create an attorney/client relationship. This is not intended to be legal advice in your specific case. It's impossible to give detailed, accurate advice based on a few sentences on a website. You should always seek advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who can give you an informed opinion after reviewing all of the relevant information in your case.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics