How many times can you request a continuance on a trespassing ticket?

Kansas City, MO |

I received a ticket for trespassing in Missouri. It was mailed to me so the only officer I spoke to was the one that called to verify my address and he wouldn't let me ask questions. I went to court and asked for a continuance. I then went to obtain a copy of the police report (yes, I know I should have done this earlier). I was told the report was not available and then it was still under investigation. I'd like to see a copy of the report to see what I'm being charged with as the story I've been told has changed several times (different dates, etc.). Can I ask for a continuance again based on this, or would there be a better way of handling this? Supposedly this happened in October and the ticket was mailed to me in January. Thanks.

As often as the judge allows!

Thank you.

As many as a judge will allow. The better way of handling this is to hire an attorney who knows how to get all of the evidence and advise you as to your best courses of action. Trying to navigate the legal system yourself is like trying to perform surgery on yourself. Don't do it. If you can't afford a private attorney, apply for a public defender attorney.

NEVER describe your facts in an online forum. I have CONFIRMED there is at least ONE county prosecutor that is a member of this site. My statements are my opinion solely based on the information provided, and that opinion can be wrong if your facts are different than what I believed them to be. If you have any further questions, you can contact me at 636-532-1400 or through my website http://mcmichael-logan.com

There's a possibility of the whole thing being dropped as part of an ongoing protection order case so I'm not looking to hire an attorney I don't need yet. I basically need to know how to get it continued again.

Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

unless some other attorney who represents you is telling you this, i would never simply trust that it will get dropped...people get themselves into messes this way.

I have an attorney in Kansas, that is assisting me on a protection order there. The other party lives in Missouri and has made false trespassing claims. There's currently an agreement pending that everyone's cases would be dismissed. I drop mine if he has the false claims in Missouri dropped. His attorney in Missouri is supposedly working on that, but I'm still waiting for the trespassing to be dismissed and don't have confidence that it will happen by next week.

Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

That may be hard to do. He may have perjured himself if that is the case, and he would face that charge if so. Keep this in mind. He is not in control as to whether the trespassing claim is dropped. All he can do is say he lied to the police and prosecutor.

His attorney was to talk to the prosecutor to get it dropped. Very long story involving 2 protection orders, a stalking order and a trespassing order, 2 in MO, 2 in KS. I think you are missing the point, there's no point in hiring in attorney until I know whether or not the case is going to be dropped. That's why I'm asking how the best way to get it continued would be.

Continuances are granted at a Judge's discretion. I would consider hiring an attorney to help guide you through this process. They will be able to help you present a better case and gather all the appropriate information.

Sincerely,
C. Curran Coulter II
Attorney and Counselor at Law
THE COULTER LAW FIRM, LLC
8000 Maryland Ave., Suite 1060
St. Louis, Missouri 63105
www.stl-lawfirm.com
Phone: (314) 721-1116
Fax: (314) 725-1026
curran@stl-lawfirm.com

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Missouri and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. Responses are based solely on Missouri law unless stated otherwise.