How many times can you request a continuance on a trespassing ticket?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kansas City, MO

I received a ticket for trespassing in Missouri. It was mailed to me so the only officer I spoke to was the one that called to verify my address and he wouldn't let me ask questions. I went to court and asked for a continuance. I then went to obtain a copy of the police report (yes, I know I should have done this earlier). I was told the report was not available and then it was still under investigation. I'd like to see a copy of the report to see what I'm being charged with as the story I've been told has changed several times (different dates, etc.). Can I ask for a continuance again based on this, or would there be a better way of handling this? Supposedly this happened in October and the ticket was mailed to me in January. Thanks.

1. Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

4

Answered . As many as a judge will allow. The better way of handling this is to hire an attorney who knows how to get all of the evidence and advise you as to your best courses of action. Trying to navigate the legal system yourself is like trying to perform surgery on yourself. Don't do it. If you can't afford a private attorney, apply for a public defender attorney.

2. C. Curran Coulter

Pro

3

Answered . Continuances are granted at a Judge's discretion. I would consider hiring an attorney to help guide you through this process. They will be able to help you present a better case and gather all the appropriate information.

Sincerely,
    C. Curran Coulter II
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    THE COULTER LAW FIRM, LLC
    8000 Maryland Ave., Suite 1060
    St. Louis, Missouri 63105
    www.stl-lawfirm.com
    Phone: (314) 721-1116
    Fax: (314) 725-1026
    curran@stl-lawfirm.com

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Missouri and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. Responses are based solely on Missouri law unless stated otherwise.

3. A J. Williams

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . As often as the judge allows!