How many times can an arbitrator adjourn a case?

Asked over 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

I was scheduled hearings and based on my union lawyers recommendation we adjourned twice. The arbitrator adjourned three hearings due to cases schedule before me on those days that was taking up all of the time. According to my jobs contract the union is allowed 2 adjournments and the company/employer is allowed 2.

1. Craig A. Post

Answered . It sounds like the union contract governs the number of times a party can request an adjournment. Presumably the arbitrator is free to handle his calendar without any real limitations. It's not unusual for complex arbitrations to take many sessions over many months. Good lucky.

2. David Sherman Cook

Answered . Your question does not contain many details, but your union lawyer would be aware of those details, and of the applicable rules. The best advice I can give you is to ask the union lawyer these same questions. He or she should be able to easily provide you with answers.