How many times can a criminal case be adjourned while the person is also being remanded ?

Kew Gardens, NY |

This person also have a parole at the time he was arrested

A parole hold is seperate from adjournments of a criminal case.

If someone is remanded, a case can be adjourned as many times as the defense atty and prosecutor agree to do so. If they are working towards a plea, more adjournments may be necessary. If the def atty is investigating, he may need the adjournments to help prepare the defense.

I suggest you ask the attorney to explain his stratedgy in a meeting.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo, LLP
President, Criminal Courts Bar Association of Nassau County
1103 Stewart Avenue, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
(O) 516-408-3666
(F) 516-408-3833

Sent from my Verizon Blackberry

----- Original Message -----

It can be adjourned as often as the court will permit adjournments. There are concepts of speedy trial that can inure to the defendant's benefit but more often it is the defense that is requesting the adjournments so Speedy trial is not implicated.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for information purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.

It really depends on whether or not the defense is asking for, or consenting to, the adjournment. If the defense is not opposing the adjournment, and there are legitimate reasons why a defendant may not oppose an adjournment even though he or she is in custody, there is virtually no limit to how many times the case can be adjourned.

If the defendant believes their speedy trial rights are being violated, they should be speaking with a qualified criminal defense lawyer ASAP.

Tom Kenniff

Queens in particular requires consent of the parties while plea bargains are being discussed. So as long as your friend/friends lawyer consents, there is no limit.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website