How many people are allowed to live in a one bedroom apartment in New York State?

Asked over 3 years ago - Pearl River, NY

I live in Rockland County, New York and I want to know how many people are allowed to live in a one bedroom apartment. The management company's website says only two but a neighbor now has his daughter home from college for the next four months and there are now 4 people living in this 600 square foot apartment when normally there are 3. Is this legal?

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

Answered . It is generally up to the owner of the apartment, although individual municipalities i.e. Counties, Towns, Villages etc. may establish guideliens. Call your County Clerk, and then if you live in a village, the Village Clerk to see if there are any such requirements,

2. Sharon Melissa Siegel

Pro

Answered . I represent a landlord of a multi apartment building in Rockland. I don't know if it differs by the size of the apartment building (which I highly doubt), but I am not aware of any county ordance governing this issue. I would look to the terms of the lease. In the lease, it may not be based strictly on number, but on nuisance value or noise issues.