How many people are allowed to live in a one bedroom apartment in New York State?

Pearl River, NY |

I live in Rockland County, New York and I want to know how many people are allowed to live in a one bedroom apartment. The management company's website says only two but a neighbor now has his daughter home from college for the next four months and there are now 4 people living in this 600 square foot apartment when normally there are 3. Is this legal?

It is generally up to the owner of the apartment, although individual municipalities i.e. Counties, Towns, Villages etc. may establish guideliens. Call your County Clerk, and then if you live in a village, the Village Clerk to see if there are any such requirements,

I represent a landlord of a multi apartment building in Rockland. I don't know if it differs by the size of the apartment building (which I highly doubt), but I am not aware of any county ordance governing this issue. I would look to the terms of the lease. In the lease, it may not be based strictly on number, but on nuisance value or noise issues.

All information provided by me on this site is general in nature. No attorney client relationship is created by participation on this site. No attorney/client privilege attaches to any communication on this site.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant