How many nights can my boyfriend spend at my rental? What is considered "reasonable"?

Asked 6 months ago - Santa Barbara, CA

Rental agreement states "single occupancy" and does not specify number of nights for a house guest. He does not live there, does not get his mail at my address, does not do laundry etc.
What are my rights? Thank you very much!

1. Justin David Fox

3

1

Answered . You're on the right track using the word "reasonable". This situation will depend greatly on the facts, circumstances and attitude of your neighbors and landlord. The more your boyfriend become a fixture at your location, the more likely someone will complain at about something. However, if your neighbors and/or landlord are easy going it will not be an issue in most situations. By posing this question I would presume he has been there a little more than infrequently. Good luck!

2. William Stanley Fitch

1

Answered . I have been able to prove an unauthorized occupant against a represented tenant once. Took 3 witnesses to do it. One left for work at 2am everyday and stated this persons bike was always chained to the balcanoy. Second witness got home from work at 7am and testified that this persons bike was always chained to the balcony. The dates of these observations matched. My third witness observed this individual using the laundry facilities and, in the clincher, saw him enter the unit dressed one way and exit a short time later wearing something else.
    With that said, you'll know your landlord has had enouh when you get the three day notice to cure covenant or quit. At that time he sleeps elsewhere for 45 or so days, end of breach, end of issue.

3. Gregory L Abbott

Answered . We were told in law school that one of the best words in the English language is "reasonable" - it guaranteed employment for at least two attorneys, one on each side. In the end, "reasonable" means whatever a Judge or Jury says it means or whatever you and the management agree that it means. Just to help give you some idea, here in Oregon most leases specify how many nights a year the same guest can stay before the lease is violated. Most here say 7 nights a year; some say 14; the most I have ever seen is 20. Not to say a court in California would see it the same but I would think that if you are exceeding 14 per year you are on shaky ground. Hmm...most of California truly is on shaky ground come to think of it but you get my point. Good luck.