How many lawsuits are there against mugshots.com and affiliates?

Savannah, GA |

For something that seems so clearly illegal there seems to be a lot of 'law' supporting and possibly encouraging mugshot sites in every state. There also seems to be a great deal of people innocent or not, that are at odds with this 'legal extortion' of would be criminals. I would just like to know how many lawsuits have been waged in the war of the 'mug'.

1. I don't know how many lawsuits there are, but I do not believe they are viable unless the information is inaccurate. Generally, these sites get their information from public records. If you have been booked, then it is public record and fair game.

2. If you use the "browse" feature here on Avvo, you will find a great deal of info about the business you are asking about. Most recently there have been numerous complaints by persons who paid for removal of the info, only to find the same info quickly republished on an alleged "related" web-site. Also, there have been complaints that after six months, or a year, or two, the cycle of publication re-starts. I strongly recommend that you do your homework and gather all possible reliable info before setting your course.

(And resist the lure of "it must be true; I read it on the internet...". Here for example, "anonymous" has offered you some very dubious assurances about slam dunk settlements in the comments section. But, then, you already know to be highly skeptical about info sourced by anyone concealing their identity and basis of knowledge by hiding behind the handle "anonymous," don't you?)

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.