How many hospitals "counter suit" their patients?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

As tort reform has eliminated all medical mistakes below dying or maiming, I decided to communicate my disatisfaction in the misdiagnosis and subsequent treatment to the hospital risk management. I wrote a 13 pg letter stating where I felt my care went astray over the course of 1.5yrs. Meeting with risk management did not address my demand to be returned to state I was prior to treatment at all. Rather than addressing any of my complaints they said they did nothing wrong and immediately threatened to "counter-suit" me for what ? asking questions over their online system which their doctors never answered? I know the Dr's didn't read my questions b/c they aren't compensated $$ to, and b/c when I went to see them in person, they idicated in their words that they didn't read my messages (cont

Pro

7

Answered . You shouldn't be writing risk management. That's simply absurd. Retain a local med mal lawyer to handle.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. John David Kelner

4

Answered . It sounds as if you have concluded that no attorney would handle your claim. If you have not consulted with an attorney (or more than one) to arrive at this conclusion, you should. This sentiment echos what others have said in their answers.
    As to your question about how many hospitals 'counter sue' their patients, it depends what the claim is for. Hospitals frequently sue to collect their bills. They can and will sue to collect a bill in response to a medical negligence claim which is baseless. I represented a hospital for 20+ years and handled several of these counter claims. Then answer to your question is that 'it depends' on the nature of your claim. You need to speak to an attorney to get a full answer.

3. Charles B. Upton II

3

Answered . See my previous answer.

My answer to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

3

Answered . The statue of limitations for medical malpractice in Florida is two years from the date of the malpractice. (Possibly extened to four years for late discovery of the malpractice). So, it seems you are close to or over that deadline.

If you file suit without complying with the Florida medical malpractice presuit screening requirements, or if you file it too late, you will be pursuing a legally frivolous clam and you will subject yourself to paying thousands of dollars for the attorneys who will defend against your claim. And this is so, regardless of the underlying merits of your claim. Maybe that is what the risk manager was talking about. Other less likely possibilities include a claim for unpaid hospital bills, libel, malicious prosecution, and similar intentional torts.

You could file a claim with the Department of Health, but it will not get you any money.

5. Barry Franklin Poulson

3

Answered . It sounds like you are not handling the issue on your own at all well. Time to hire an attorney. Search for an attorney in your locale, discuss fees, and bring your retainer to the first appiontment.