How many habitual laws are there and what sentences do they carry?

Las Vegas, NV |

I know there is a little habitual and a big habitual-is it true that the first carries a 10-25 year sentence and the second is 25-life? Also, I heard there was a middle habitual that carries an 8 to 12 year term, but I have never heard that before so I wondered if there really is such a thing?

Depending on the circumstances and the person's record, there are several possible terms under habitual: 5-20 years, 10-25 years, 10 to life, and life without parole. The "little" habitual is 5-20 and the "big" habitual is the 10+ or life without... the 8-12 probably refers in some way to the "little" habitual, although 8-20 (and not 8-12) is the max there.

The statutute only allows the State to enhance a sentence beginning at 10-25 years or from 25 to life depending on the criminal history. The range of 8-12 years appears to be the range fora guilty plea to the pending charge as there is no "middle" habitual treatment.

The information presented here is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The Goodman Law Group, P.C. recommends that you consult an attorney with experience in your specific legal issue. Please contact us to schedule a confidential discussion of your situation. Such communication does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind until a formal engagement agreement is signed by both you and the Goodman Law Group, P.C.