How many forms to use when filing Affidavit of support for a family of four?

Asked about 3 years ago - Hillsborough, NJ

I am trying to file I-864 for my sister which includes her husband, and her two sons age 8 and 6. I am not employed and have zero income. My husband is employed full time but his income alone is not sufficient so I will be using my son-in-law's income. The Part I am confused about is are they both ( my husband and son-in-law) joint sponsor's and how many forms do I use and does each family member of my sister need separate I-864 since they are four all together? I hope I haven't confused anyone.

1. Eric M. Mark

Pro

Answered . You really should consult with a lawyer to make sure you get this right and properly documented. It is not a simple process and doing it incorrectly will result in long delays or denials.

2. C. C. Abbott

Answered . The I-864 is for your sister and she has three derivatives with her (husband and two minors). You will ahve to fine an affidavit no matter your income as you are sponsoring them. You need to file as many co-sponsors as will meet the threshold as set by the poverty guidelines. Each joint sponsor needs to have a full affidavit done as if they are the only one with an affidavit.
    The DOS has an excellent set of Q and A's for related issues
    http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/in...

USCIS also has good general information
    http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem...

You can also contact USCIS customer service and speak with an agent; state you have questions on the Affidavit of Support. They have very good manuals they use to guide you through the process.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.