How many days of community service will I get to pay off 2000 dollars?

Compton, CA |

In Compton, California Court...about how many days of community service will I be looking at for a 2,000 dollar fee? Does it matter where I go? I hear at CalTrans they pay time and a half. I've already done 60 days there and it is rough though (6am-3PM) but if they only give me like 15 days I'm up for it. I just don't want another 60 days.

I don't know any attorneys who know that calculation off the top of their heads, or even have the ability to look it up... unfortunately you're going to have to rely on the clerk of court or the judge to tell you that information. Sorry. (And of course, maybe someone does know that and will answer this question.)
Bear in mind, though, that there is a difference between Community Labor-- which is what CalTrans falls under-- and Community Service, which is a different thing. Community Service is less strenuous so you have to do even more hours of it, which generally winds up being worse for people. Most of my clients, except those who can't physically do the Community Labor, generally prefer to do far fewer hours of the more strenuous work in the end. It just takes too dang long to work off Community Service. I tell you that just so that when you do talk to the clerk or the judge you're sure to ask for the right thing.

Any answer provided on Avvo, including this one, is a general answer about a legal question, not specific legal advice. Different lawyers may analyze this or any other matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am licensed in the state of California and the Central District of the Ninth Circuit.

That's a lot of money, it could be 2-3 weeks. You only get credit for minimum wage at Caltrans. Even at time and a half, its a long time. You might consider converting it to jail time. It would take a day or two!

Go for the jail time, due to the overcrowding you will be paid much more that Cal Trans will pay you on an hourly basis is my advice based on the time my clients have done.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.