How many days from filing for divorce do you have to serve the respondent? What happens if you don't serve w/in the proper time?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fife, WA

My spouse filed for divorce in Pierce County over a month ago, but I have not been served papers yet. They know where I live/how to find me.

1. Dave Hawkins

Pro

3

1

Answered . There is no time limit. You may get a copy of the Summons and Petition from the clerk and demand that they serve you.

2. Bruce Clement

Pro

2

1

Answered . If your spouse does not serve you within 90 days, the Court Clerk will probably send out a notice that the court intends to dismiss his case. If you want the case to proceed, get a copy of the pleadings from the Clerk and file a form Acceptance of Service or (if you agree with his proposal) a Joinder. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on divorce and court procedure for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”