How many days does the landlord give someone to move out?

Asked over 5 years ago - El Paso, TX

We were late with our rent a total of 4 times within 2 years living there and now he wants us to leave in 14 days.

1. Gregg Adam Martin

Answered . Look at your lease to see what it says, if anything, about the amount of notice you are entitled to receive in the event of a rent default. If nothing is there, then it would be provided by statute which you'll need to find out as I don't now Texas law. (Here, in California, the Landlord is required to give the tenant a notice to pay rent or quit so the tenant can fix the default before the Landlord could try to evict.)

If the Landlord accepted your late payments, then the Landlord also may have waived any right to evict you. If you have a lease that is more than a month to month tenancy, the acceptance of rent would be (at least in California) a waiver of any rent default.

Unless the Landlord resorts to self-help (illegal here in California), he/she can't really force you out in 14 days as, I imagine, it would take longer to get to Court and get a judgment for possession.

I think you need to speak to an attorney if the Landlord is really serious. If you can't patch up the problem and the Landlord insists that you move, you may have no choice but to seek legal advice.

Disclaimer: The information given here is based upon incomplete information and may not be current or apply to your particular situation. You should not rely upon this information to act or refrain from acting without seeking the advice of professional counsel in your geographical area. Viewing and use of any of this information does not create an attorney-client relationship and is done at the viewer's own risk.