How many days before a hearing do I have to serve court papers?

Filed under: Litigation

I filed a notice of motion with the court. My hearing date is Dec. 15th. How many days before the hearing do I have to serve the other party?

If you are in state superior court, you need to give 16 COURT days notice, plus an additional 5 CALENDAR days if you mail the notice. Therefore, you must mail it out on November 16th, and your proof of service must indicate service by mail on November 16th.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Depends on the type of hearing and the method of delivery. You need to check the code of civil procedure.

16 COURT DAYS PLUS FIVE FOR REGULAR MAIL IN SUPERIOR COURT.

Litigation topics